Saline County Kansas

You are here: Departments > County Clerk > Homestead & Safe Senior

The County Clerk's office is happy to assist with filing the Kansas Homestead Claim or the Property Tax Relief Claim ("Safe Senior") for people who do not file income tax returns. 

Hours for Assistance  February 1st - April 18, 2022 Monday through Friday 8:30 am to 4pm 




The Homestead Refund is a rebate program for the property taxes paid by homeowners. The refund is based on a portion of the property tax paid on a Kansas resident’s home. The maximum refund is $700.

To qualify you must be a Kansas resident, living in Kansas the entire year. Your total "household income" must be $36,600 or less.

You must also meet one of the following requirements:

  • You were born before Jan. 1, 1966; OR
  • You must have been totally and permanently disabled or blind during the entire year, regardless of your age; OR
  • You must have had a dependent child living with you all of last year who was born before Jan. 1, 2021, and was under the age of 18 the entire year; OR
  • You are a disabled veteran (50% or more disability), or the surviving spouse of an active duty military personnel who died in the line of duty and not remarried.

Get homestead forms here.

SAFE SENIOR - Kansas Property Tax Relief for Low Income Seniors

SAFE SENIOR is a property tax refund program administered under the provisions of the Kansas Homestead Act (property tax refund). SAFE SENIOR is also referred to as, "Kansas Property Tax Relief for Low Income Seniors".

The refund is 75% of the 2021 general property tax paid or to be paid - as shown on the 2021 real estate tax statement for the residence in which the claimant lived in 2021. The 2021 property tax consists of the 1st half which is due Dec. 21, 2021 and the 2nd half which is due May 10, 2022. The 2021 property tax is the total of both the 1st and 2nd half taxes.

A claimant may receive either a Homestead or a SAFE SENIOR refund but not both.

You must meet all the following requirements for the SAFE SENIOR refund -

  • Kansas resident all of 2021,
  • Owned a home in Kansas during 2021,
  • Aged 65 years or older for all of 2021 (born before Jan. 1, 1966) and
  • "Household income" of $20,900 or less in 2021.

Safe Senior - Frequently Asked Questions and worksheet


Homestead Refund Advancement Program

This program provides eligible homeowners with the opportunity to apply a portion of their anticipated Homestead refund to help pay the first half of their property tax.

There is a question on Form K-40H asking the homeowner whether they want their next year’s homestead advancement sent directly to their County Treasurer. If the box is checked on the 2021 K-40H, the 2021 homestead advancement will be sent directly from Kansas Department of Revenue to the County Treasurer. This eliminates the need for the homestead claimant to physically deliver the homestead eligibility letter to the County Treasurer.

If you do not check this box, you can not participate in the homestead advancement program, and none of your homestead refund will be used to pay your 2021 property taxes.




  • Refund amount from your 2020 claim.
  • Banking information if you would like to have your refund directly deposited into your bank account.
  • All information regarding any HOUSEHOLD INCOME (that is, for every person who lived in the home even if they file separate taxes.)

Some examples are:

-Taxable and nontaxable wages, salaries, self-employment, unemployment compensation

-Interest and dividends

-Earned income credit

-Social Security, SSI benefits, retirement, pension, disability payments

-Alimony, child support, foster home care payments

-Jury duty payments, gambling winnings

-Welfare, food stamps, TAF, general assistance

If you qualify under the disability provision you will need to know:

-The date (day, month and year) in which you first became eligible for disability. You may obtain this information from the Social Security office.

-All household members’ personal information, including name, date of birth, and social security number.


Note: You may claim either a Safe Senior Property Tax refund or a Homestead refund (not both).  "Household Income" is generally all income received by all members of the household. This includes both taxable and non-taxable income.



Official County Government Website. Copyright Saline County, Kansas © 2016 - 2022. All Rights Reserved.