Saline County Kansas

Official County Government Website

Photo Courtesy Of Marciana Vequist
You are here: Departments > Health Department > Child Care Licensing

Follow us on.....

Like us on

Click here for KDHE Child Care Licensing

Click here to get Child Care forms.....


Information for the Providers/Teachers

TB Tests for Providers/Teachers, How often?

Physicals and TB Skin Tests need to be completed one time unless the provider/teacher closes or stops teaching and then begins again.

Annual Fees for Saline County

Licensed and Group Child Care Homes $40.00  
Resource and Referral Agency


Preshools $35.00 plus $1.00 per child per license capacity
School Age Programs $55.00  
Child Care Centers (per license) $55.00 plus $25.00 for 1-24 children
    $50.00 for 25-49 children
    $75.00 for 50-74 children
    $100.00 for 75 + children

June 2017

Annual Fees for Ottawa & McPherson County

Licensed and Group Child Care Homes $45.00  
Resource and Referral Agency


Preshools $45.00 plus $1.00 per child per license capacity
School Age Programs $65.00  
Child Care Centers (per license) $65.00 plus $25.00 for 1-24 children
    $50.00 for 25-49 children
    $75.00 for 50-74 children
    $100.00 for 75 + children

June 2017

Are there additional Fees collected?

Substantiated complaint on all types of facilities $55.00

KDHE requested compliance inspections on all types of facilities $45.00

June 2017

When is a Fire Inspection needed?

Inspections are needed at these times (the provider/facility is responsible for scheduling the fire inspection):

  • All licensed/group child care homes receive an inspection when they open
  • Any child care home that uses a basement or second level must receive fire approval
  • All child care centers and preschools receive an inspection when they open
  • All child care centers receive an annual inspection. 

What happens during a complaint investigation?

The child care surveyors investigate all complaints.  Providers should know that:

  • All visits to provider’s house/facility are always unannounced
  • A complete walk-thru and record check will be completed and violations will be noted
  • Other agencies may participate in the investigation, such as DCF, food programs or law enforcement
  • It is very common for surveyors to interview parents, neighbors, and or other possible witnesses
  • A notice of survey findings will be delivered at the end of the investigation
  • Complainant’s names are always confidential


A parent-provider/teacher relationship is most beneficial when each party views the other as a valuable partner and resource.  Open and frequent communication is crucial for a positive relationship.  Many complaints received by the health department could be avoided if the following were implemented:

  • Open door policy – parents are always made to feel welcome to visit their child
  • A healthy and safe environment where children are well supervised is provided
  • Providers/teachers are willing to work with parents on problems or limitations
  • Both parents and providers/teachers notify each other of changes

Provider interviews

The interview is an opportunity for you and your potential parent to get to know each other and to decide if you will be a good match.  It is important that you both provide as much information as possible in the pre-placement interview.  If it can be arranged you should meet more than once before a decision is made and care begins.  You and the parents might meet first, and then have the parents return with the child.  Whether you are meeting once or several time before arrangements for care are finalized, the following topics should be discussed prior to enrollment of the child.

What PROVIDERS should tell the Parents

  • Your child care experience (including your experience as a parent)
  • Your child care training (i.e. workshops, first aid/CPR, education)
  • The number and ages of children in your care (your own and child care)
  • The kind of care you provide (what kind of activities the children will be doing during the day, and what are the normal daily routines/schedules, etc.)
  • How long you intend to continue providing care
  • What are your plans for coping with an emergency situation (contingency plan)
  • What type of meals and snacks you serve (food program)
  • Parent responsibilities (i.e. child’s cubbie, formula, etc.)
  • Your contract policies and procedures

What PARENTS should tell the Provider

  • Information about the child’s family structure (does the child live with both parents, number of siblings, etc.)
  • The child’s previous experience in child care
  • The child’s medical history and medical or health concerns (i.e. allergies)
  • The child’s personality (i.e. shy, nervous, outgoing)
  • The child’s eating, sleeping, toileting habits
  • The child’s favorite activities, books, foods, etc.
  • Any recent changes, upsets or problems that might affect the child (e.g. marriage, divorce, birth of sibling)
  • If child is school-aged: What arrangements can be made regarding transportation to and from school?
  • Parent’s employers, hours of work, phone numbers and addresses at work and home
  • Names and phone numbers of emergency contacts if parents are not available

What the two of you should agree upon

Money matters: basic fees, method and frequency of payment, overtime rates, payment for absence, holidays, etc.

Child Care Licensing


Our Child Care Licensing program annually inspects family child care homes, preschools, child care centers, and school age facilities in three counties (Saline, Ottawa, and McPherson).  In addition to routine licensing inspections, we also investigate reports of concerns involving child care facilities.


The original licensing law, passed in 1919, placed the licensing authority with the Kansas Department of Health and Environment.  The department administers the licensing law as a preventive program to assure that out-of-home care for children and maternity patients will not be exploited, unsafe or unhealthy.  The main purpose of the law is to protect the health, safety, and welfare of children receiving care away from their parents and their home.  The law is also a consumer protection law assuring parents that the care their children receive meets minimum standards.



Health, Safety, and Welfare of Children recieving Care...

Kansas child care regulatory services contribute to a healthier community by:

  • Supporting Kansas families in their child care choices
  • Reducing the predictable health and safety risks to children in out-of-home care
  • Increasing the number of children who are fully immunized
  • Promoting health and safety standards that help prevent communicable disease and reduce injuries


Child Care Partnerships are created by:

  • Parents who choose licensed child care providers
  • Providers who work with parents to meet each child’s needs and who provide a healthy, safe, and nurturing environment
  • Surveyors who provide health, safety, and child development education to providers and parents


Saline County Health Department Surveyors:

  • Provide consultation on early care and education, health, and safety
  • Inspect child care environments and work with providers to promote continual self-evaluation and professional growth
  • Coordinate training opportunities
  • Supply guidance on choosing quality child care
  • Provide information to parents on how to review compliance history of child care providers


Kansas Department of Health & Environment Program Staff:

KDHE Administrator – 785-296-1270

KDHE Admin Assistant – 785-296-1270

Fax – 785-296-0803


Mailing address:

KDHE, Bureau of Child Care & Health Facilities

1000 SW Jackson, Suite 200

Topeka, KS 66612-1274

Information for Parents

Our surveyors inspect child care homes, preschools, child care centers, and school age programs for Saline, McPherson, and Ottawa counties.


Before Choosing a Child Care Facility…

  • Take some time to think about the type of care, cost, and location that will meet your family’s needs
  • Call the programs which appear to meet your needs and use the phone interview questions to gather information
  • Make an appointment to visit several locations which sound acceptable by phone
  • Schedule appointments at a time when the children are active so you can observe the adult/child interaction


Checklist for choosing quality child care: visit the Child Care Aware website.


Our Staff

Serving Saline, McPherson, and Ottawa counties


Leigh Ann, Coordinator

Angela, Surveyor  


Give us a Call - 785-826-6600

Fax – 785-826-6610



Opening a Child Care Facility

Have you considered?

Some Important Items to consider before you choose this career are:

  1. Do you like children?
  2. Do you have the patience to work with large groups of children?
  3. Are you willing to work openly with a child’s parents on such issues as discipline?
  4. How does your family feel about sharing their home?
  5. Do you understand that children need activities which foster their growth and development?


Caring for other people’s children is a tremendous responsibility.  With a little planning and a lot of love, it can be a positive experience for both you and the children in your care.

Who needs a license?

Licensure is required regardless of the motivation for providing care, and whether or not there is advertisement or payment for services.  What is essential is that a child or children receive care away from their own home.


Licensing in home-based care is not required when:

  1. Child care is provided for not more than two children unrelated to the provider for 20 hours a week or less and the home has not been closed as a result of enforcement action.  Total time is determined by adding the hours each child is in care per week.
  2. Irregular child care is arranged between friends and/or neighbors on an exchange basis.
  3. Child care is provided in the child’s own home.
  4. Child care is provided in the home of the child’s relative.


If you are interested in opening a child care facility, please call the child care surveyor to register for an orientation.  All materials for the class are provided.  Please do not bring children to the class.  An individual orientation will be given to anyone that is unable to attend a class.


A temporary license may be issued to an applicant for a home child care 60-90 days after the complete application is received.  A center or preschool must apply 90 days before opening.

What is a Home Child Care?

Licensed Child Care Home (K.A.R. 28-4-113 et seq.) is a home in which care is provided for a maximum of ten children under 16 years of age with limited number of children under kindergarten age. This total includes children under eleven year of age related to the provider.

What is a Group Child Care Home?

Group Child Care Home (K.A.R. 28-4-113 et seq.) is a home in which care is provide for a maximum of twelve children under 16 years of age with a limited number of children under kindergarten age. This total includes children under eleven years of age related to the provider.

What is a Child Care Center?

Child Care Center (K.A.R. 28-4-420 et seq.) is a facility in which care and educational activities are provided for 13 or more children two weeks to 16 years of age for more than three hours and less than 24 hours per day including day time, evening, and nighttime care, or which provides before and after school care for school-age children. A facility may have fewer than 13 children and be licensed as a center if the program and building meet child care center regulations.

What is a Preschool?

Preschool (K.A.R. 28-4-420 et seq.) is a facility which provides learning experiences for children who have not attained the age of eligibility to enter kindergarten prescribed in K.S.A. 72-1107© and any amendments thereto, and who are 30 months of age or older; which conducts sessions not exceeding three hours per session; which does not enroll any child more than one session per day; and which does not serve a meal. The term “preschool” include education preschools, Montessori schools, nursery schools, church-sponsored preschools, and cooperatives. A preschool may have fewer than 13 children and be licensed as a preschool if the program and facility meet preschool regulations. In lieu of being licensed, preschools operated in the same building as private schools providing kindergarten through grade six shall be governed by Kansas statues applicable to private schools.

What is a School Age Program?

(KAR-28-4-576 et seq.) A School age program is a child care facility that serves exclusively school-age children and youth.

Copyright Saline County Kansas© 2017. All Rights Reserved.